Sunday, May 9, 2010

AMAZING GRACE!


This is a song of gratefulness! You who have children have known times of pain, I’m certain, as well as the moments of pure joy that your children have laid at the doorstep of your heart. Today is Mother’s Day, and now is the time to savor the loving moments, to lay to rest those times when the pain has been so raw, so deep, you thought you would not survive.

But yes, today I feel only the glorious love that I have for my sons, and I am luxuriating in their love for me. We spent a couple of hours over lunch, just us three, sharing Himalayan dishes as well as stories of our lives. My sons are like most young men, I suspect: it is rare they give up the secrets of their hearts to anyone, much less their mothers. But today they were at ease as we ate, and they talked of their children, books they’re reading, trips they’ve taken recently for pleasure, and business trips they’ll embark upon in the next 24 hours.

Then it came time to open my gifts (as if my time with them weren’t gift enough!). First I opened Mike’s card, and the sentiment on the front pierced my heart straightaway. But when I read what he had written inside, the tears welled up in my eyes.

" As I lay down roots for my family
and try to instill in them the core
values I hold dear, it makes me
appreciate the foundation that was
built for me…and even more so
who is behind that.

Thank you for being my mom, and
for all you’ve done and still do!

With love,
Mike"

There are fleeting moments when you feel the hand of God touch you, when you know a part of you will never die, when love overflows in your heart and you know that this love will live forever. This was such a moment, and I am still dwelling inside that feeling as I write this.

Doug’s gift was the sweet necklace you see here, so delicate, my initial in gold, and I put it on immediately.

My heart is so full! This is such a sweet and grace-filled moment! May your hearts also be transformed today, as your families honor you and all you have done for them!

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

2 comments:

  1. Mary,

    Your cup runneth over! What a joyous Mother's Day you had. I remember the pain you had in your relationship with your sons, am very happy for you that healing has occurred and that they appreciate, honor and love you today for who you are and for who you were-----a loving mom to the nth degree!
    We had a good brunch with the Haligans and Tom and then we went to Emmaus that evening where mothers were honored during the liturgy. It was great!
    Thursday we're off for Terre Haute and soon you will be going on your river cruise. We are both blessed. In peace and love, Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hear so deeply, Tess, wonderful friend that you are! I believe we both had a heartwarming Mother's Day, and I'm so happy that yours was wonderful! Much love, Mary

    ReplyDelete