Friday, February 12, 2010

Graced Moments

In my last post, I mentioned a friend who said that this decade, her sixties, is the happiest time of her life. We were sharing over tea, and I spoke to her of how I admired the strength she has shown in the five years or so that I've known her. She has faced the difficulties that she encountered during her life, which had left their mark on her in various ways. Since I’ve known her, I’ve seen her slowly emerge from a kind of cocoon, into the radiant being she is now. It’s been beautiful to watch!

My friend agreed that she’d gone through a lot of hard work to address the problems with professional help. But she also said that I had been a big part of her growth, that as her friend, I’d always listened deeply, without judgment or advice, simply being there, celebrating her just as she is, and supporting her throughout.

As she said these words, she was looking at me with such honesty, love and gratitude, that my insides simply melted. I felt the hand of the Divine upon my head, gently blessing me. For an instant, the veil that separates us from the Source Of All That Is Good was lifted, and we were wrapped in a moment of grace.

Each of you reading this has blessed me at some time, in that special heart-stopping way. You have made a difference in my life by sharing your unique self with me. As I think of you, I am remembering those special moments of grace, like pearls on a beloved necklace, and I know that I am a better person because you are in my life!


Happy Valentine’s Day!

2 comments:

  1. Your description of your moment of grace is beautiful! I love the phrase, "like pearls on a beloved necklace." There is nothing better than a heart to heart conversation where we are listened to and not judged. May we have many more sacred moments. With love, Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, may we have many more sacred moments. Well, they are all sacred, aren't they? It is only we who fail, in the moment, to recognized them as holy! Many warm hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete